Monday, August 3, 2015

Age of Sigmar the new Warhammer Fantasy

So, I've tried a few games with the new starter, take note, I have never played the fantasy game before this so I can't comment on how it fares to how it used to be played.

First things first, 4 page rule-book, I've been playing 40k a lot and that game had you toting maybe at least  2 books (usually more) for rule references, and based from what I heard about fantasy it used to be even more complicated than 40k.


To give you an idea of the power level of starter;I had a few practice games with a friend who brought 4 warscrolls of ogre kingdoms and having tried a game against it with both sides of the starter, they hardly stood a chance. There were some epic moments with the Khorne Lord banishing a warscroll of ogres into Khorne's realm via his reality ripping axe though. Other than that the ogres were just too tough and did too much damage (and I haven't even talked about the giant he brought to the game).


This didn't end well for me

Well to get into the nitty-gritty of it, it's a very easy to learn game but a competitive player will find that there are hardly any checks to keep the games balanced between players and THAT guy. From being able to field any number of models or nothing to stop you from fielding monsters for your whole army it may seem like whoever pays more wins more. (There are fan made competition rules but those aren't official so meh.)

So my thoughts are, it's fun. it's easy, and from a marketing standpoint even if veterans of the game hate it, from a money standpoint, it doesn't matter they will probably just sell more now since it's incredible easy to play and quite fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment